Rock House on YouTube Follow us on Twitter Join our Facebook Fan Page
rockhousemethod.com • View topic - Chord help

Return to Guitar Talk

Chord help

Everything Electric and Acoustic for the guitar god in you! We be Jammin'

Moderator: jmac

Chord help

Postby MegansMom09 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 am

I've been having trouble with the A chord and could really use some help. On the DVD he says to use your first finger to bar it. Sounds simple enough. My problem is that every time I do this, the third (or second, I don't remember for sure without trying to play it) string always comes out sounding...well, dead. The rest of them are just fine. It's just that one string. I figure I'm doing something wrong, but I've checked to make sure none of my other fingers are interfering, as well as made sure my finger wasn't directly on top of any frets. Why am I having this problem and how do I avoid it?
MegansMom09

Re: Chord help

Postby blymn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 am

It is a bit hard to tell what you are doing wrong since your description is a big vague. At a guess I would say it is the bottom (B) string that is giving you the problem. You should hold the tip of your fore finger flat on all three strings, make sure you get all three strings under the finger, apply pressure slightly back from the fret to make it a bit easier to get the strings down. If one of the strings still sounds dead then have a look at what you are doing, adjust your finger slightly and try again. Once you have the right location and pressure you should be fine. Getting the chords right is always a struggle - just persist with it and practice, after a while you will wonder what all the fuss was ;)
blymn

Postby Michael Carr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 am

Well Thats Too Be Expected By Everyone Learning Too Play Guitar Chords Especialy Barre Chords
Weather They Be Partial Or Full Barre Chords One Trick I Use Too Get Around That Is Too Slightly Roll Your Finger
Inwards What Happens Is The Joint Lines In Your Fingers Roll And Smooth Out If That Dont Correct The Problem Then
Move Your Finger Down Or Up On The String Ever So Slightly That Should Instaintly Take Care Of The Problem
But When Changeing Chords Faster It May Be Easier Too Roll That Barre Finger

One More Thing Id Like Too Mention Is Some Guitars Have ( Dead Frets ) Meaning If Your Play That String On That Fret And It Dont Sound Good You Are Intitled Too A Return Guitar For Another One

Good Luck
Takeing Back My Life In 2012
Michael Carr

Postby MegansMom09 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll have to try those tips. I know my description was vague but I didn't know how else to describe it. I know my guitar isn't the problem because all the strings sound fine with anything else I do. Besides I've actually had the guitar for six years and I never had a problem. I didn't play it for several years, but I still made sure I took good care of it.
MegansMom09

Postby Michael Carr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Not A Problem :)
Michael Carr

Postby Bobcat316 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Look learn to bar the A major with your ring finger. Sounds hard to do but instead of using the the first 3 fingers of your fret board hand (I don't use the term left hand because I play Left handed). It will seen awkward and doesn't conform to Mel Bay book 1but it will prove itself a very valuable as you progress. I use the A form all over the neck I can use it to chord during solo's or allows me to easily play in all major keys.
Becoming natural at fretting an A with your ring finger will become very valuable when you start using barre chords. This is the A style or A type barre chord (or what the book calls a 5th string barre chord page 66). As you get familiar with barre chords you will find that you can make all of the Major chords using what you are calling an A chord now.

I actually play the A with my first finger (not my first 3 fingers) and learning to play this chord with one finger (1st and 3rd) will pay off later in your progression into guitar. I promise!!!
Bob from Texas
Bobcat316

Postby Michael Carr » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Good tip Bob
That A style bare chord is the frost BA
really chord I learned stick too your guns!
Michael Carr

Postby mouser » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:04 am

Old thread, but what the hey, I'm bored so this is my necro for the night.

I do not see the reason for a beginning guitar player to use a barre to play the A chord.

Yes, I know it's a barre chord later on (but so are E and C and D and G), and you can do 'tricks' on the chord, but seriously, what is a beginner most concerned about? My experience is they want to play some songs, and do that they need to be able to make smooth chord changes while keeping a steady strumming pattern going.

My advice: Finger the A chord with 3 fingers - index finger on the 2nd (B) string, ring finger on the 3rd (G) string, and middle finger on the 4th (D) string. The fingering may feel strange at first, but once you start making the chord changes you'll understand the reasoning behind it.

Later on you can learn to play it as a barre with either your index or ring finger (or both).
mouser

Postby ManuelMaye » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:35 am

I have learned guitor lessons here. As per the dissertationcapital service, It is better to practice well and learnt it perfectly. I am really glad to get this site.
ManuelMaye

Postby LukeBaxter » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am

I'm writing an essay for my work at https://writingpeak.co.uk/assignment-writing-service on this topic. I'd like to know more about this.
LukeBaxter

Return to Guitar Talk