Search
cart status
Rock House on YouTube Follow us on Twitter Join our Facebook Fan Page
rockhousemethod.com • View topic - POWER CHORDS REVISITED

Return to Music Theory

POWER CHORDS REVISITED

To broaded your musical intellect! Don't be afraid

Postby fendermail56 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:49 am

Yup....its those darn power chords again.Cool  I thought I would post this for those folks just starting out...I know if it wasn't for Michael and power chords I most l
fendermail56

Postby fendermail56 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:19 am

In fact, just about any double stop will work real good when combined with power chords...
fendermail56

Re: POWER CHORDS REVISITED

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Want to sound good right off with that brand new guitar you just got? The quickest way to sound good, when you are just starting out on an electric guitar, is with two not power chords. They are the easiest chords to play, and only require two fingers - that's it. I will also cover the three note power chords, which sound a little fuller, but are slightly harder to play if your just starting out then the two note version. Some punk bands have had entire albums done using nothing more then these simply chords, and with just a little practice, you will soon be rocking out and impressing your friends with your new learned skills.

STEP 1

Pick out a few of these power chords below and practice strumming them. If possible, add some distortion to your amp. You can just hear the power behind each power chord

e________________________________________________________________________

b________________________________________________________________________

g________________________________________________________________________

d________________________________________________________________________

a____2____3____4____5____6____7____8____9___10___11____12____13____14___

e____0____1____2____3____4____5____6____7____8____9____10____11____12___

_____E____F____F#__G___G#____A___A#___B____C___C#____D____D#____E____

The root notes are found along the low E thick string. As you can see, the shape of the power chord maintains the exact same shape no matter where you play it, the shape is moveable. There will always be one blank fret between the two notes you are fretting. From the 12th fret on everything repeats itself an octave higher.

STEP 2

e________________________________________________________________________

b________________________________________________________________________

g________________________________________________________________________

d____2____3____4____5____6____7____8____9___10___11____12___13____14_____

a____0____1____2____3____4____5____6____7____8____9____10____11____12____

e_________________________________________________________________________

_____A___A#___B____C___C#___D___D#____E___F____F#____G____G#____A_____

Now your root notes fall on the A string. When you play these, palm mute at the bridge lightly with the side of your hand. It will lend a chunky sound to the power chords.

STEP 3

Now look at the three note power chords below and give these a try. They have a fuller sound to them.

e_________________________________________

b_________________________________________

g_______________________2_____5_____7_____

d_____2_____5_____7_____2_____5_____7_____

a_____2_____5_____7_____0_____3_____5_____

e_____0_____3_____5_______________________

______E_____G____A_____A_____C_____D____

I only gave a few examples, but by now you know that the shape is moveable, and you can slide these up and down the neck just as you can with the two note power chords.

STEP 4

Now look over the power chord examples below and try some of these out. Back in the 60's and 70's guitar players developed a little trick to make it sound as though they were playing more chords then they really were. They added an extension onto the power chords. It spices up the power chords when you through some of these extensions in here and there.

e__________________________________________________________

b__________________________________________________________

g__________________________________________________________

d_______________________________7__7__9__7_________________

a____7__7__9__7___7__7__9__7____5__5__5__5____7__7__9__7___

e____5__5__5__5___5__5__5__5__________________5__5__5__5___

STEP 5

Now look over the tab below and try sliding into your power chords. Punk bands make good use of this technique.

e__________________________________________

b__________________________________________

g__________________________________________

d__________________________________________

a____6/7__7_7_7___6/7__7_7_7___6/7__7_7_7___

e____4/5__5_5_5___4/5__5_5_5___4/5__5_5_5___

Try this slide out on other power chords on different frets. Try sliding up to the power chord from two frets away.

STEP 6

Now practice adding a percussion sound to your power chords. This is done by striking muted strings, marked by an x. To mute the strings, lightly release some pressure off the strings you were muting, then reapplying the pressure again to sound the power chord.

e____________________________________________

b____________________________________________

g____________________________________________

d___________________________________________

a____7__x__x__x____7__x__x__x___7__x__x__x___

e____5__x__x__x____5__x__x__x___5__x__x__x___

STEP 7

Now examine the power chords below. These are how power chords are mainly played in many many punk bands, and to play power chords with this shape, your guitar has to be in drop D tuning. That is where you change the tuning of just one string, tuning your low E thick string from an E to a D.

e___________________________

b__________________________

g__________________________

d____3___5___7___10___12___

a____3___5___7___10___12___

d____3___5___7___10___12___

_____F___G___A___C___D___

As you can see, in drop D all your power chords line up in a way you can now fret the entire three note chords with one finger, doing a mini bar across the low D, A and D strings. This allows punk guitar players to fire off a rapid series of chords in a very short time as they slide that one finger up and down the guitar neck. Now you know many punk bands secret weapon, drop D tuning. But if you are not planning on doing a lot of punk stuff, I would suggest staying with standard tuning and sticking to the two note power chords to get started out on.

Postby Steve Belong72 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:31 pm

I've never understood the term power chord. I know how to play them just fine, I just don't agree that they are chords as there is no colour interval to determine whether the chord is major, minor, etc. :? :? :?
" Music Is the space between the notes."

" If you can dream it, you can play it !!! "

" The only limits in life are the ones we place on ourselves."
Steve Belong72

Postby Michael Carr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:05 pm

You Here Cavedweller
?
Takeing Back My Life In 2012
Michael Carr

Postby THIRDSTONE » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:09 am

I am still around, all my time is just about taken up with photography and article writing. Still fire up me ole fender from time to time, LOL. Wonder how some of my posts got listed under my email...and yes, this is indeed Cavedweller,
THIRDSTONE

Postby salman123 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:08 am

sound good right off with that brand new guitar you just got? The quickest way to sound good, when you are just starting out on an electric guitar, is with two not power chords. They are the easiest chords to play, and only require two fingers - that's it. I will also cover the three note power sound good right off with that brand new guitar you just got? The quickest way to sound good, when you are just starting out on an electric guitar, is with two not power chords. They are the easiest chords to play, and only require two fingers - that's it. I will also cover the three note power

_________
prince
salman123

Postby mjjones » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:43 am

It is one of the finest websites I have stumbled upon. It is not only well developed, but has good content as well. It could prove to be an inspiration for many students for their assignments. Java Assignment Help Online is into assignment writing service sector and helps pupils in completing their academic tasks.
https://www.allassignmenthelp.com/java- ... -help.html
mjjones

Postby david230 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:46 am

We are proud of our best assignment help Australia experts because of their dedication providing continuous support to students by helping them meet deadlines and scoring better grades. We understand how important academic assessments are in developing a student's career and future opportunities, this is why we take extreme measures to ensure that all our solutions are best-in-class. All students looking for assignment help Sydney can reach us and avail.the best online assignment help Sydney from our academic experts.

psychology assignment help online
hr assignment help
online assignment help
core java Programming assignments Help
PHP Programming Assignment Experts
Javascript Programming assignment Experts online
Online C++ Programming Assignment Help
programming language assignment help
C# homework assignment Help
Our primary motive is not only to provide you with the best help but also to make your journey smooth. The increasing importance of writing assignments has prompted students to take a helping hand from assignment writing services. During higher studies in colleges, students often have to prepare multiple documents, quizzes, and surprise tests. This is the main reason why most students search for online assignment help over the internet and choose only the most proficient and trusted academic writing experts.
david230

Postby andrewsymondss » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:52 am

Homework work help is very common in singapore because students of singapore of top universities often get homework help online from their college professors so, remove your course work pressure because we are now available to assist you in assignment round the clock.
andrewsymondss

Student Assignment Help

Postby kristenwarne » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 am

Hire the assignment experts of StudentsAssignmentHelp.co.uk and get the best Student Assignment Help services online. All our academic writing services are available for the students at a reasonable price and our writers are capable to finish the work well on the asked deadline.
kristenwarne

Postby jamesstephens » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 am

Outstanding assignments writing help are available for all the college or university students at IrelandAssignmentHelp.com. Our assignment helper offer low price for all your work as we know students live on short budgets.
jamesstephens

Return to Music Theory